Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How Chabad's power was established in Red China

Rabbi Greenberg on the grounds of Beit Chabad in Shanghai Photo: Archive

Seven years have passed since Greenberg and his team opened an active Chabad house in the Chinese capital, and today there are already seven Chabad houses in the country. All places are in demand. The Jewish community in China is waking up, business owners who settle in the country are looking for a Jewish corner and take part in the life of the community and in general, it seems that something good is happening to the Jews of China these days.

"We arrived in Shanghai and began preparations to open a Chabad house. As everywhere else in the world, here too we publicized the fact of our existence among the Jewish businessmen in the city, and we also made contact with the Israeli consul. One evening, almost unexpectedly, some Chinese came to our new house and identified themselves as senior officers in the security services. 'You only have two options,' they said with a threatening face, 'either leave the country within 24 hours, or stand trial before a Chinese court.' With what guilt, we asked shocked. 'They will accuse you of disturbing public order and missionary activity,' they answered us.

Rabbi Shalom Greenberg, Chabad emissary in China, recalls the early days of the local Chabad home and smiles. "In those days the Chinese didn't know exactly what Judaism was and thought we wanted to Judaize them," he says. "Today they already understand that this is really not the case."

Seven years have passed since Greenberg and his team opened an active Chabad house in the Chinese capital, and today there are already seven Chabad houses in the country. All places are in demand. The Jewish community in China is waking up, business owners who settle in the country are looking for a Jewish corner and take part in the life of the community and in general, it seems that something good is happening to the Jews of China these days.

In the city of Shanghai, for example, the Jewish community expanded from 200 Jews about seven years ago, to a relatively large community numbering over 2,000 Jews in 2008. In the city of Beijing, there is a community of a similar size. According to official government data, many Jews immigrate to China from Europe, the United States and Australia - mainly to study or work in the country's growing business centers. Many of them began their stay in the country on business grounds and see China as a place of work more than a home, however, according to Chinese researchers tracing the expansion of the community, Jewish history is full of examples of this type , where communities were shot due to business considerations that became convenience and ideology.

"I don't exist"

The beginning, as is the way of beginnings, was not easy. After the government officials threatened Rabbi Greenberg, the Chabad Chasid answered them that he did not intend to leave the country but would face a public trial. "They were sure we would pack up and run away," he says. I understand how serious the charges I was accused of are. I wasn't excited, I said that on the contrary, our arrest would become an international media item, and that all the news outlets in the world would say that the first Jewish rabbi to come to China in fifty years, since the end of World War II, was arrested by the authorities and is on trial."

Rabbi Greenberg's answer made the Chinese realize that they were facing a very determined man and that they might be in trouble if they bullied him. They probably went to consult with the senior officials of the party because after some time they showed up at his house again and informed him that he was released. "They informed me that for them I do not exist, as long as my activities are not directed to Chinese, and that I am not allowed to build any official Chabad institution in China, nor to operate from an office or a special building but only inside private homes. They also added that any Chinese who contacted me would be in big trouble. This thing is strictly forbidden"

That was the beginning. In Chinese terms, this was a very big achievement for the Jewish guy. The Jewish religion is still not one of the five officially recognized religions in China, but the government, for now, ignores this and allows religious activity in the country - unlike other religions to which it is alienated. In the community, they attribute this to the ongoing and positive relationships they maintain with government representatives. In their opinion, one of the reasons for this is the government's understanding that the Jewish religion does not threaten the Chinese way of life and that Chabad followers accept the Chinese management order of the country. Despite this, there is still no Chinese permission to build a synagogue in any of the cities in the country. In China and the representatives of the community, they are working for Chinese recognition of the status of the Jewish religion and the Jewish community, in order to obtain permission to build a synagogue and other Jewish religious services, including giving spouses or Chinese citizens the opportunity to participate in religious ceremonies and even convert. Chabad activists in the country state that at least once a week they receive a request from Chinese citizens to convert.

I am interviewing Rabbi Shalom Greenberg from a continent away, but his story shrinks the thousands of kilometers between us. According to him, the first Chabad house in China was established in 1998, and since this movement established branches in the countries of the Far East much earlier, Rabbi Greenberg sees the need to explain the delay: "Until that year, there were almost no Jews in China," he says. "When I arrived in Shanghai , I found only two hundred Jews there, the great majority of them diplomats and businessmen. They all arrived in a few years and for a limited time."

In the last decade, as mentioned, the Shanghai community has grown tenfold and today about 2,000 Jews live in the city, alongside other Jewish communities in other business cities in China.

What gave rise to this process?

"The opening of the regime in Beijing to the West and the accelerated economic growth. Today not only Jewish businessmen come here, but also their family members and students who come to study, and even Jews or Jewish women who married Chinese and are citizens of this country."

What is the Chinese government afraid of? Why did he try to narrow your steps?

"The regime wants industrial peace and is not willing to allow any entry of opinions or people that would endanger it. I will give you an example from the Chinese legal system. In Jewish culture in particular, and in the West in general, the highest legal value is to find out the truth. 'What really happened'. For this they summon witnesses and investigators and bring evidence. For the Chinese, on the other hand, what really happened has no meaning. It is irrelevant. When there is a legal battle between people over property or money, the judges will almost automatically lean towards the stronger side and rule in his favor. Injustice? - Maybe. But the Chinese are not looking for Right, they are looking for industrial peace, and that in their eyes is justice. This peace is the religion of the Chinese government. I remember once telling the people living here that they did not invent anything, and this is an age-old world view. Even in Sodom and Gomorrah, they always ruled in favor of the powerful. My words fell on deaf ears ".

Are you claiming that the Chinese are unaware of moral standards as we understand them?

"In China, the concept of morality, as we perceive it, has no meaning. And not only morality, here is another expression of the huge cultural difference between them and us - the attitude to religion. This is a huge nation, a billion and a quarter plus, eighty percent of its people do not believe in any religious belief, and the twenty percent who do believe, It's only from the language and outside."

This is a characteristic of communist regimes.

"It's not necessarily related. Beijing recognizes five religions that are legitimate in its eyes, including Buddhism. But these religions do not have a significant audience of believers. One of the strict rules of the Buddhist religion, for example, is that it is forbidden to take the life of an animal. Not even to kill a fly. In India, This Buddhist mitzvah and you will find hundreds of restaurants where even a Jew can eat because they are based on the purity of plants. In China there are tens of millions registered as Buddhists - and there are no vegetarian restaurants. When I learned this, I asked Chinese Buddhists how they explain this. The answer was evasive, or they said that 'only the extremists And the pious do not eat meat'.

"Another example. A Chinese family doesn't mind that the father is a Christian, the mother a Buddhist and the sons are pagans. It doesn't create any conflict. And I've come across such families. When you ask how they get along, they don't understand you. For them, faith is like loving a football team. So one is a Maccabi fan And the second one is working, and it is still possible to maintain peace at home. In China, faith is a harmless thing but not obligatory. The only thing people here are close to is Confucianism - but it is not a religion but a way of life."

There are never any culprits

The Jews of China have to face all the way with difficult problems arising from the fact that they are different. Kosher, for example. "Two weeks before Rosh Hashanah, we tried to organize a container with kosher meat to arrive at the port of Shanghai," says Greenberg. "The intention was to host the Jewish public in the city during the holidays, as is the practice of Chabad houses all over the world. The container arrived at the port and got stuck there. I appealed to the city and port authorities to release the meat on time, and received an answer after three days that the food was released. I was happy of course and we started handing out invitations to a lot of people to dine with us on Rosh Hashanah. Then we went to open the container so we could start cooking, and our eyes got dark. The whole meat stank.

It turned out that after the container was taken off the ship, no one bothered to put it in the refrigerator. They let her wait on the dock even though there were very clear instructions on her that she should be kept refrigerated. It's one of those situations in life where you either laugh or cry. So my wife and I stood next to the container - and burst out laughing. Tears wouldn't help there. At least we'll laugh, because otherwise it's impossible to stay sane in China."

So did you cancel the Rosh Hashanah meal?

"Of course not. The rabbi of Hong Kong came to our aid, and we also used Jewish resourcefulness. God willing, on that Rosh Hashanah seventy people were hosted at our table who enjoyed a festive kosher meat meal."

After the holiday, Rabbi Greenberg asked to find out who was responsible for the mishap and discovered again that Chinese culture is completely different from anything he knows in the West. "The port director admitted to me that what happened was really wrong, but when I tried to find out who was to blame, it turned out that there were no guilty parties. Everyone agreed that we were completely right, but everyone also said that what happened had nothing to do with them. We were left with a sea of excuses and without a single person responsible or guilty. I thought it was because That I am not local and in a few years I will be able to understand what is happening here. And here, ten years have passed since 1998 and even in 2008 I do not understand the Chinese dynamics. Between us, I am desperate to understand."

China also has anti-Semitic literature

Shalom Greenberg and his wife arrived on their Shanghai adventure about a year after their wedding. He is an Israeli citizen and she is an American citizen. Today they are raising four children in China, two boys and two girls, the eldest is nine and the youngest is three: "That's how it is in Chabad, you get married and go on a mission. But we were not thrown into the water without preparation. We were prepared and taught about China, and we thought we knew a lot. Only when we arrived did we realize that those who have not experienced Chinese culture up close cannot know how different it is from any American or Israeli outlook on life."

Why do you even need a Jewish community in China?

"There is a large community here that needs a lot of services and we provide them. In recent years the community has grown, and I brought my brother here to help me. He opened another Chabad house in the other half of the city."

How do you explain this success?

"The Chinese value teachers very much, because in their eyes these are people who teach how to succeed in life, and I am here on the standard of a teacher. The Chinese also value Jews very much, because they are sure that our people control the entire global monetary system, and they admire money and its influence. Therefore, every Israeli businessman is revered Here - and even more so, the Israeli teachers are revered. When I introduce myself, the initial reaction on the part of every Chinese is great reverence. I am supposed to be a kind of money guru. Then they find out that I do not teach how to make money but deal with spirituality and this confuses them. Spirituality has no They have respect. At this point, most of them leave me. Only a small minority of them are willing to accept that there is something else more important than money."

In a world hostile to Jews in general and Israelis in particular, with an alarming increase in the phenomenon of anti-Semitism, China is a kind of oasis. When I ask Shalom Greenberg about the reaction of the Chinese to Western stereotypes such as the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, he says: "Even in China there is translated anti-Semitic literature that presents the Jews as a danger to the world, but instead of making them hate Jews, it makes them admire us. 'If you You have been so successful in influencing the whole world,' they say, 'a sign that you have some kind of knowledge that is worth learning. This is the Chinese way of life. This is how they look at the world. But don't get the impression that everyone is only materialistic and worships money. There are deep Chinese who want to learn Judaism and even convert, but we direct them to Hong Kong or Australia. In Shanghai, it is forbidden to talk to them about this, and certainly they are forbidden to convert."

As mentioned, with all the admiration for the Jews, Judaism is not included in the five recognized religions in Beijing. Six years ago, the Chabad movement appealed to the local authorities to make the Jewish religion also recognized, and in this context its leaders promised that they had no interest in Chinese Jews.
"We promised that we would accept all their restrictions," says Rabbi Greenberg. "The officials heard the request, and were very kind. They said they have no doubt that Judaism is an important religion and deserves to be recognized. We have been receiving the same answer for six years. In those days, I realized that despite all the politeness, there is no intention for anyone here to recognize the religion of Israel, Probably for political reasons. The representatives of the regime will not admit it, they will continue to smile and nod, but without doing anything."

What political considerations are involved?

"The Chinese regime is considering requests for religious recognition from a global perspective. If it allows Judaism to operate in China officially, there will be claims of discrimination from other religions, including Islam and Christianity. After all, everyone will want to operate among one billion and 400 million Chinese. So in order not to get into this problem, We are ignored. They do it nicely, but we know that in practice, nothing will move. Anyone who comes to China should know that the regime is very jealous of order and does not want any disturbance that will put ideas and opinions into the citizens' heads."

China is getting closer to the West
Following the increase in the number of Jews and Israelis living in China in recent years, Rabbi Greenberg has often had to intervene on behalf of those among them who have gotten into trouble with the authorities. "People come here, don't know China and do nonsense," he says sadly. "To rescue some fool you need a good lawyer, and equip him with a lot of money to bribe those who need it. Even then you need to know who was injured and who is behind the lawsuit. Once, in order to save an Israeli, I went as far as the Chinese Deputy Foreign Minister, a man who enjoys a very senior position in the country. Other times I am in contact with junior government officials who already know me. Sometimes they can solve the problem before it gets complicated. I advise everyone who comes to China to internalize the difference between China and the West and the sensitivities of the regime and simply not to do nonsense."

But they say that China is getting closer to the West?

"That's true. Ten years ago, when we arrived in Shanghai, people defecated in the streets, and I'm talking about a city that was formerly controlled by the West and has a history of contact with foreigners. Since then, a lot has changed here, and quickly. Today there are fines for inappropriate behavior in the street. There are More serious enforcement of traffic laws that were previously only a recommendation, and there are other indications that China is moving to more Western standards. But everything is relative. There are still many things that are foreign to the Westerner who lives here and does not just come for a short time as a tourist."

What is the hardest for you?

"Loneliness. You feel like an alien on another planet. This feeling makes many young Jews and Israelis who travel here come to us to experience a bit of homeliness. A foreigner in China is hardly treated by the locals, and even if he is, he will not understand anything. It is a fascinating phenomenon that equates to life in a private universe. The young people begin That is why they have to rediscover their Jewish identity and come to us. By the way, despite the alienation from foreigners that characterizes the locals, we encourage Israelis to take part in humanitarian activities. For example, when there were earthquakes in the province of Sichuan, the Chabad House encouraged the people to go help the victims there." .

Bottom line, do you expect China to become the next destination for Jewish-Israeli immigration?

"Although Jews have always been attracted to places where they can develop initiatives and reach a high status, the great differences between the cultures will prevent a large settlement in this country in the coming years. What's more, the regime is not interested in such a move and concentrates the foreigners only in a few cities. But gradually the trickle of Jewish immigrants will turn into a stream, And once again we will see a process of migration among the Jewish people towards the east, and this time to the Far East."

18th in Hashvan 5699

Source: https://archive.ph/9ogqJ#selection-587.0-603.16